What To Serve With A Meat Pie?
The meat pie is a British staple and has been so for hundreds of years. In fact, a meat pie was commonly eaten as far back as the Neolithic Period, around 9500 BC.
However, the pie has changed a great deal since its humble beginnings. In medieval times the crust wasn’t considered edible and instead acted as a serving dish for the contents, while nowadays, perfectly crisp, buttery pie crust is one of the many joys that a meat pie brings to the table.
While there is nothing wrong with devouring a tasty meat pie just as it is, serving it up with some thoughtfully paired side dishes can elevate the pie into a fantastic and filling meal for any occasion.
The type of side dish will depend on the kind of meal you want to serve. So whether you are looking for a lighter, healthier option, or want something vibrant and warming, here are some great recommendations for what to serve with a meat pie.
Our Suggestions for What to Serve with a Meat Pie
Let’s start with the vegetables
A good quality meat pie is a beautiful combination of flaky, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth pastry stuffed generously with a rich and perfectly cooked meat and gravy filling. Because of this, you may not need anything more than some vegetables to complete your meal. Some of the best veggies that go great with pies include:
- Peas - the fresher, the better! Peas provide a great contrast to the richness of the pie.
- Green beans - lightly boiled with some salt or pan-fried with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Squash - bake your squash in the oven to make it soft, and then mash with a little butter
- Carrot and parsnip mash - these two root vegetables are a match made in heaven - a combination of sweetness and earthiness that couldn’t be more at home served alongside a perfectly cooked meat pie.
- Cauliflower - roast your cauliflower in the oven until lightly browned - great for soaking up gravy!
- Roasted mushrooms - earthy mushrooms add to the overall hearty flavours of a meat pie supper.
- Courgettes - sauté your courgettes in olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Mushy peas - for that satisfying chip shop feel.
- Pickled red cabbage - for a tangy contrast, pickled red cabbage is ideal.
- Roasted root vegetables - a perfect meat pie accompaniment to warm your cockles on a winter’s day.
A potato sidekick
If you are particularly hungry and looking for a side dish to ensure that you are fuelled up and utterly replete, something starchy can do the trick. Some of the best starchy side dishes include:
- Mashed potatoes - a meat pie side dish classic. Fluffy, soft, buttery mashed potatoes are perfect for absorbing any gorgeous leftover gravy.
- Roasted potatoes - a great alternative to the traditional Sunday roast.
- Baked beans - for something quick and easy and to add a little sweetness to the meal.
- Beer-battered chips - you can’t go wrong with a pie and chips, beer-battered ones are the ideal meat pie accompaniment.
- Sweet potato fries - another one for the chip lovers! Sweet potato fries are crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and the sweetness goes great with the intensely savoury flavours of a meat pie.
Of course, a generously filled meat pie should have the perfect crust to filling ratio. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting more! Some fantastic sauces and condiments that work well with meat pies include:
- Gravy - a rich sauce poured over the top of your pie is always going to go down well.
- Cranberry & apple compote - for something tangy to contrast with the rich meat flavour.
- Mustard - you can’t beat some classic English mustard to add some earthy warmth to the dish.
- Horseradish - another great option if you want to add a little heat to your meal.
Start experimenting with what to serve with a meat pie
Of course, any top-quality meat pie will be the main event, so your side dishes should quietly complement it rather than take over the show. At Mud Foods, not only do we boast a massive range of award-winning pies, but we have carefully crafted our side dishes to make complete and delicious meals. Take a look at our full range of tasty meat pies and their perfectly paired side dishes and create your pie-fect meal today.